Friday, January 18, 2008

Snow Bound

The TravelingRoths are headed to Winterplace Ski Resort (link) in West Virginia with a group from church for some snowboarding and snowtubing. We're all pretty excited, and we think we're about as prepared as we can be for people who don't see a lot of snow during the course of a typical year, and thus don't own a ton of snow gear. As an aside to that, it's supposed to snow 3-6 inches here at home while we're away. Isn't it ironic, don't you think?

None of us have ever snowboarded, so this is going to be interesting, to say the least. We've solicited advice from people we know who are skilled, and we plan on taking a lesson, but how we'll actually do on the slopes. . . we'll see. Jennifer is planning on just doing some tubing, where all you need is to dress warmly enough. I think the kids will be fine. They're low to the ground, solid muscle, and have the endurance of marathon runners. I'm not (as) low to the ground, not solid muscle, and have the endurance of a Pottstown cop. Plus, as I age, whenever I fall, all I can think about are knee ligaments and crutches (this happens to me at the beach too). I'm a decent skier, so the slopes are not unfamiliar to me, and I was a pretty good Snurfer rider as a kid, so we'll see. I'm hoping we all pick it up quickly, take to it, and make it a regular event for us.

Look for pictures, video, and words here later to see how it went, if I still have the ability to type.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

| Top ↑ |