Friday, July 20, 2007

Where Have I Been?

Inspired by this post and this post from Brother Andy, and with a desire to move that Rabin obituary off the top of the page, I've created a map of all the states I've visited, with two caveats.



create your own visited states map
or check out these Google Hacks.


I've visited 42, or 84% of the United States! What are the caveats? I included Mississippi and Kentucky, but maybe I shouldn't have. The Memphis (Tennessee) airport is actually in Mississippi, and the Cincinnati (Ohio) airport is actually in Kentucky. So using the "Incarceration Gambit"*, those two states qualify.

Similarly, I've produced this map of countries I've visited.


create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands

I'm up to 6% of the world's countries, and I plan on adding another two (at least) in the next year or so. There are a ton more that I want to get to eventually. I don't think I could even prioritize them right now. I'm invoking the IG* once again for the UK. I had a stopover there on a flight from Atlanta to Copenhagen, and I didn't even get out of the plane, but I'm counting it as one of my countries anyway.

I'm planning on making a map like this for the entire family as a unit. Individually, Jennifer would dog me internationally, but I think I have her beat domestically. The kids are holding their own, for their ages, and will get a big boost next summer. Check back over the years for updates

*Incarceration Gambit: If I were to commit a heinous crime here, whose detention facility would I end up in?

UPDATE March 2010: Having just returned from 2+ weeks in England, I can now state without asterisks or qualifications that I have been to the UK. Later this year: a new state for the map: Alaska!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried the link, checked the countries I have visited, but did not use your rules, so I haven't been to England or Germany.

But, it wouldn't make a map, just one of those ugly oh there should be an image here things was generated.

Bah, humbug.

Charlotte Gutter Cleaning said...

Looved reading this thank you

Post a Comment

| Top ↑ |