Sunday, October 08, 2006

You Made What?

If you're looking for Soccer Week 5B, it's not here. Maybe it was due to the foul weather, or something got rescheduled and we never heard about it, but the Saturday game yesterday didn't happen. We went out to the field at game time, and there wasn't a single Striker there. The other players and officials soon left too, despite that there was no notice of cancellation on the MYSA website. No loss though. We didn't mind standing out in the cold rain.

A couple of weeks ago, Jason Kreider sent me this recipe, as a joke, I'm sure

     Title: FRENCH FRY SPAM CASSEROLE
Categories: Main dish
Yield: 8 servings

1 pk Frozen french fry potatoes,
-thawed (20 oz)
2 c Shredded Cheddar cheese
2 c Sour cream
1 cn Condensed cream of chicken
-soup (10 3/4 oz)
1 cn SPAM Luncheon Meat, cubed
-(12 oz)
1/2 c Chopped red bell pepper
1/2 c Chopped green onion
1/2 c Finely crushed corn flakes

Heat oven to 350'F. In large bowl, combine potatoes, cheese, sour
cream, and soup. Stir in SPAM, bell pepper, and green onion. Spoon
into 13x9" baking dish. Sprinkle with crushed flakes. Bake 30-40
minutes or until thoroughly heated.


Yup, that's right, French Fry Spam Casserole. It sounded so disgusting that I knew I had to make it.

So I bought most of the ingredients and socked them away in the pantry, not telling Jennifer what I was making, because she is no fan of Spam.

Last Sunday, I assembled everything and cooked it, and we had it for dinner.

And guess what? It was actually delicious. I substituted the green bell peppers (chilies) which are inedible, in my opinion, with orange ones, then followed the rest of the recipe explicitly. Next time I may add some fresh parsley, and possibly substiute cooked chicken for the Spam, but we'll definitely see this one again.

I'll make this for a church night supper sometime, but I'll put someone else's name on the dish, so people don't get the idea that this is the height of my cooking skills.

I'll put a piece of masking tape on the bottom with the name "Kreider".

0 comments:

Post a Comment

| Top ↑ |